Peru Discovery 18 Days 17 Nights
Discovery Peru in 18 days and experience the best attractions of the country. Start in the capital, the go exploring to Cusco and finalize your vacation in Machu Picchu
Overview on the 18 Day Peru Discovery Tour
Below you get to visit the places when you book Peru discovery
Arequipa, as known the White city of Peru with an impressive colonial center built from the white volcanic rock that is found in the area there are a variety of things to do whilst in the city such as visit the Santa Catalina Monastery or the museum where the Ice Mummy ‘Juanita’ is kept. The main attraction of the city is the nearby Colca Canyon where it is possible to see condors soaring on the thermals.
Puno, another colonial city that people visit for Lake Titicaca, the world’s highest navigable lake and home to the Uros people. The Uros people have lived on floating islands that they construct from reeds for generations, possibly as far back as Inca times and it is this unique culture that attracts people to the area. A boat ride on Lake Titicaca is an unforgettable experience, visiting the floating islands as well as the islands of Amantani and Taquile you see a side of Peru that is all but lost.
Cusco, the old Inca capital is the main destination of everyone’s trip. Sat at 3300m / 10,827ft. above sea level, Cusco has a unique charm and provides an interesting mix of Andean and Spanish cultures. Filled with ancient Inca sites and colonial buildings sat alongside modern restaurants and upmarket cafes, Cusco has a little something for everyone.
Machu Picchu, the lost city of the Incas is a short train journey from Cusco. Surrounded by breathtaking mountain scenery and with some of the most impressive Inca buildings ever constructed, Machu Picchu iss the highlight of Peru.
The Amazon Rainforest, the jungle around Puerto Maldonado has been identified as one of the most biodiverse places on the planet. Staying in a lodge deep in the jungle you get to explore this fantastic environment by foot on jungle trails and by boat on the myriad of rivers and oxbow lakes. Staying in a lodge is the perfect way to see the jungle allowing you to enjoy the wildlife in comfort.
- Tour the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu
- Flight over the Nazca Lines
- You will have your dune buggy ride, driving like a lunatic all over the sand dunes and enjoying some sandboarding
- Admire Colonial architecture on a tour of historic Lima
- Visit the ancient Inca Ruins of Moray
- Discover the ancient salt mines of Maras
- Witness the spectacular Andes Mountains
- Explore the fascinating Uros floating islands
- Marvel at impressive Lake Titicaca
- Visit traditional villages on Taquile Island
- Enjoy a boat trip across Lake Titicaca
- Explore the ‘Imperial City’ of Cusco
- Stay in Aguas Calientes ‘hot springs town’
- Visit ancient Inca monuments
- Enjoy a guided tour of Pukara and Raqch’i
- Peruvian Amazon jungle
Itinerary on the 18 Day Peru Discovery Tours
Day 1: Welcome to Lima
Our representative will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel in Miraflores.
Day 2: Lima City Tour
9:15am City tour in Lima, known as “The City of Kings“. This excursion offers the best combination of the differents attractions in Lima and its three historical periods: pre-hispanic, colonial and contemporary. In Lima, there were several different pre-columbian cultures which are dated thousands of years back. Lima was part of the Inca Empire until was founded by the spaniard Francisco Pizarro on the 18th of January, 1535. During our guided tour we will travel along its millenary history.
Free afternoon to continue exploring on your own.
Day 3 Flight to Puerto Maldonado
We will transfer you back to the airport for your morning flight to Puerto Maldonado . You will be met at the airport by your naturalist guide and transferred to a dugout canoe for the trip up the Tambopata River to the lodge. On the journey the vegetation changes from colonized deforested areas to virgin rainforest. A box-lunch is provided on board. On arrival you’ll have a welcome drink and meet the rest of the staff.
In the late afternoon you set off for an introductory walk into the “terra firme” forest behind the lodge (Trail 2), dominated by giant Brazil -nut and Dipteryx trees. Frequently seen mammals on this trail are Saddleback Tamarinds, Brown Capuchins, Agoutis, Pacas, Blue-Morpho butterflies, Trogons, Toucans and many other species of birds. After dinner a night walk to find nocturnal animals or insects by the eye-shine a specialization for increasing the light and see better, about 50% of the animals are nocturnal in the rainforest.
Day 4 Hike to Lake Condenado
After an early breakfast you and your nature guide will board the motorized canoe once again for the short journey to the trailhead to begin a morning’s exploration by foot and paddle canoe of the lake system of Condenado, rich in bird and aquatic life. A family of Giant Otters lives in the vicinity of the lake and are often observed. Birds abound especially Rufescent Tiger-herons, Great Egrets, Wattled Jacanas, Hoatzin, the noisy Donacobius and many others. Remember to bring your hat and sun cream for there is no shade out on the water. You will return to the lodge in time for lunch.
The afternoon is for exploring the forest close to the lodge (with or without your guide), relaxing and bathing in the Gallucunca, a cool clear stream beside the lodge or visit our tree platforms, going up with ropes and harnesses for a bird’s eye view of the forest and for close-ups of arboreal orchids and the many other species of plants and animals that are never seen near the ground (extra cost). After dark you will go searching for caiman (alligators) and other nocturnal animals by motorized canoe along the Tambopata River.
Day 5 Hike to Lake Sachavacayoc
After an early breakfast you will take a short boat ride down river to the trail head. Here you embark on a longer trail which leads to a spectacular hidden lake, requiring the crossing of streams and swampy ground, past the giant Lupuna trees (kings of the jungle) which abound in this part of the forest. On the walk you are introduced to more aspects of the forest and its animals. At the lake itself it is possible to spot the elusive Black Caiman and Giant Otters. We return for lunch. The afternoon is free for relaxation and bathing.
Day 6 Journey to Cusco
Time to return to the city of Puerto Maldonado is scheduled according to flight time of the group. In the mornings you can see the wildlife that is particularly active at this time, are frequently heard howler monkeys or stop. Your guide will give support to his arrival in Puerto Maldonado and will relocate to the airport and assist you on your flight.
We will welcome you at the airport in Cusco and transfer you to your Hotel. The rest of the day will be free to explore Cusco .
Day 7 Cusco City Tour
You will have a free morning to enjoy Cusco. At 1:00pm we will meet you at the hotel lobby to begin your city tour visiting Cathedral, Koricancha , Sacsayhuaman, Quenqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay . Return to Cusco at 7:00pm.
Day 8 Sacred Valley Tour
This is a full day tour which begins at 8.00 am from your hotel and visits Pisac Market, Pisac Ruins and ends at the Ollantaytambo ruins . You will have time for dinner in Ollantaytambo before you board the 7PM expedition train to Aguas Calientes. Our representative will bring you to your hotel.
Day 9 Machu Picchu
Buses up to the ruins begin at 5:30 am, are first come, first serve and run every 5 minutes. We recommend that you wake up early, if the weather appears clear, so you can get to the ruins to see the sunrise. You can arrange your start time with your guide. He will meet you at the hotel and go up with you and you will have a 2 hour tour. (You can add climb for $25 a person if you would like – this will begin after your tour). Once your tour is over you will have free time to explore on your own and then you will make your way back down to Machu Picchu Pueblo to enjoy some lunch. You will take an afternoon train at 6:45pm back to Ollantaytambo where you will stay the night.
Day 10 Maras Moray
At 9:00am We will pick you up from your hotel in the morning and bring you to Moray an Inca farming laboratory. From there you will drive to the amazing salt mines of Maras. Finally you will have time to visit Chinchero .
Day 11 Journey to Puno
6:30am We will pick you up from your hotel and bring you to the bus station for your tourist bus to Puno. Along the way you will enjoy some inca and pre-Inca ruins with a guide explaining them to you. Arrive 5PM you should arrive safely in Puno and we will transfer you to your hotel.
Day 12 Lake Titicaca – Floating Islands
Between 7:30am to 8:00 am We will pick you up from the hotel and transfer you to the lakes port and take a boat to the floating islands of Uros where you will have some time to explore around. You will then take a boat ride to the next island, Amanti island, where you will stay with a local family. Tonight will be a basic accomodation but very memorable as you will be surrounded by a nice family and have the opportunity to see how the indigenous people of the lake live. In the afternoon you will climb to the mountain to watch the sunset and party with locals.
Day 13 Lake Titicaca – Taquile Islands
Early breakfast with the family and take a boat to the next islands called Taquile where you will learn about agriculture and textile of local people. We will then transfer you back to your hotel in Puno.
Day 14: Journey to Colca Canyon
At 6:30 AM we will pick you up from your hotel in Puno and transfer you to the bus station where you will take the bus to Chivay and we will transfer you to your hotel where you can relax for the evening.
Day 15 Colca Canyon
Early wake up and you will begin your tour of the canyon and have the chance to walk to Mirador del Condor (Lookout Point) to spot the biggest birds in the Andes. At the end of the afternoon you will drive to Arequipa for the evening.
Day 16 Arequipa
You will have a free day to explore the white city of Arequipa and then at 8:30pm we will drive you to the bus station for your overnight bus to Nazca which departs at 9:30pm.
Day 17 Nazca – Ica – Huacachina
Depending on what time you arrive, long trip buses tend to change arrival time, our representative will pick you up and take you to a small airport for your flight over the lines for around 40 minutes. You will then have lunch at any restaurant around there and we will transfer you back to the bus station afterwards for your bus to Ica.
Our representative will transfer you from Ica to Huacachina (about 10 minutes away). You will have your dune buggy ride, driving like a lunatic all over the sand dunes and enjoying some sandboarding. Hopefully you will get to see the sunset over the dunes, if the weather cooperates. They will then transfer you back to Ica bus station.
Take bus at 6:40pm to Paracas and overnight.
Day 18 Paracas – Lima
We will meet you at your hotel in the morning and bring you to the port to begin your boat ride around Paracas , seeing lots of sea lions and penguins. After the ride you will have time to explore the area and then we will bring you back to the bus station for your bus to Lima.
The end of Peru discovery tour.
Price on the 18 Day Peru Discovery Trip
Standard Package: 3 and 4 Star Hotels
- US$6295 per person for Solo Traveller with Single Room
- US$5380 per person for Travellers with 2 or More “with sharing double, matrimonial or triple rooms
Student Discount: US$60 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
Under 18’s Discount: US$90
Wayna Picchu ticket US$25
Vistadome 40 USD Per Person (Round trip 80 USD P/p)
Inclusions on the 18 Day Peru Discovery Travel
- Tambopata Eco lodge 4D3N rainforest(transportation, meals, entrance fees)
- 2 nights hotel in Lima
- 3 nights Hotel in Cusco
- 1 night Hotel in Machu Picchu Pueblo
- 1 night Hotel in the Sacred Valley
- 2 nights Hotel in Puno, 1 night Hotel in Chivay, 1 night accommodation in Arequipa, 1 night Hotel in Paracas
- Lima City tour – group tour
- Cusco City tour in group with entrance fees
- Sacred Valley in group with fees
- Maras Moray – private tour
- Tour in Machu Picchu with private guide, entrance fees and bus tickets
- Tourist Bus to Puno with entrance fee and lunch
- Group tour of Lake Titicaca 2D1N staying a night with local family
- Colca Canyon tour including entrance fee, bilingual guide and transportation.
- All airport transfers.
Does not Include
- Meals not mentioned above.
- Domestic flights
- Airport taxes
Must Be Read Before Booking Peru tours!
- Jungle trip 4D3N is really 2 full days in the Amazon as the rest of the time is travelling. The first day you will arrive around 1 pm to the lodge and the last day after breakfast; you will take a motorboat back to Puerto Maldonado for your flight to Cusco.
- The City and Sacred Valley tours in this package are done in a group and with a trusted third party, not through Happy Gringo Tours. The group tours in this package are available as a private tour with all Happy Gringo guides for additional cost based on your group size.
- After Machu Picchu, your train returning to Cusco will be either at 14.55 or 16.42 depending of the availability. They will be booked on the Expedition (tourist class) train, but can be upgraded to the Vistadome train for $65 per person. The Vistadome train leaves at 15:20.
- Climbing Huayna Picchu involves purchasing a permit and is available for $65 each. You can climb at 10:30 am after your Machu Picchu tour and it does need to be booked in advance as there is a limit and only 400 people can climb per day. However, if you do not want to climb, don’t be frustrated, here are similar views from the Sungate and Inca Bridge.
What you need to take:
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellent
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries