Rainbow Mountain Hike 4Days / 3Nights
Rainbow Mountain Hike 4 Days / 3 Nights. The route achieves a circuit of scale, passing by peaks located between 4710 and 5200 meters in Palomani Pass.
Overview on the 4 Day Rainbow Mountain Hike
Rainbow Mountains Hike is a trek around the snow capped mountains, a dramatic scenery located in Cusco, the largest peak in Cusco´s southern región. Happy Gringo Tours offers you one Amazing circuit around Ausangate and one very non-traditional to Vinicunca, you end up doing two adventures in the area.
Playing cards and drinking whisky in the middle of the mountains to balance the cold.
Trip Type: Hiking, adventure, history, culture and organic food.
Good For: Moderate physical fitness.
Starting Altitude: 3,800m – 12,467ft.
Highest Altitude: 5020m – 16,481ft.
Hiking Trek Distance: 46 km – 28 miles.
Accomodation: 3 nights in tent
Coldest Night: Day 2 around 0º Celsius and day 3 around 0º celsius
Recommendation: Try to arrive days in advance to acclimate.
Itinerary on the 4 Day Rainbow Mountain Hike
Day 1: Cusco – Upis Pampa
We will pick you up at your hotel at 6:00am to drive nearly 3 hours to stop in Tinki for organic breakfast which is prepared by our professional chef. After breakfast the hiking is around 5 hours to get the lunch place. Our destination for the night is Samacancha, where we will enjoy a beautiful evening surrounded by sharp mountains and beautiful landscapes in the middle of the Andes.
Day 2: Samacancha – Four Lagoons (Puka Qocha)
We will have early in the morning our organic breakfast. Afterwards we hike through mountain ranges of Ausungate, it is incredibly colorful as it has four lagoons; Yanacocha, Vinococha, Huchuy Pucacocha and Hatun Pucacocha, even outside of the magical landscapes of Vinicunca. We continue ahead, meeting native quechua-speaking people, inca descendants, people who spend their life in the middle of these mountains its fauna including the Llamas, Alpacas and Vicuñas luckily are the main resource for them. The day is finished after 6 hours of hiking in Hatun Pukacocha.
Day 3: Hatun Mapayoq – Yauricunca
After an early, organic and nutritious breakfast with your trekking team, you will prepare for the third day of the hike, this day offers a variety of colorful lakes and dramatic scenery along a steady climb, which allows for plenty of breaks, we arrive into the high pampas – rugged meadows of long grass across to Apacheta Pass (4850m). We take the trail to another mountain pass, dropping down, by Lake Ausangate, surrounded by rugged mountain peaks and the great valley below, where we’ll camp at Surapampa, this campsite is one of the most beautiful campsites located on the hillside of the Ausangate peak and at the bank of the lake. You can see amazing views from here and perhaps some condors and eagles flying nearby.
DAY 4: Vinicunca – Cusco
After an early breakfast with your trekking team, it will be about 2 hours gradual uphill trek to reach the famous RAINBOW MOUNTAIN. Pucapunta the red sandstone sedimentary formations, offers such a wonderful experience and the Red Mountain Valley located at 5200m /17060 ft elevation, along the way you get to see Vicuñas and Condors. where you encounter Vinicunca a mountain of striations of colors embedded in the hillsides, best known as The Rainbow Mountain, it speaks for itself.
After taking some pictures and enjoying the views, you will continue the expedition to the end of the trail. This is all downhill along the Valley for about 3 hours where you will enjoy your final lunch with your team. The drive itself provides really nice views of the Andes, passing some traditional villages along the way. You will be arriving into Cusco around 6 to 7pm. We end up having a marvelous time!
Price on the 4 Day Rainbow Mountain Hike
Private Service Price:
- Minimum of participants 02 persons
US$615.00 per person
Student Discount: US$50 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
Under 18’s Discount: US$50
Sleeping Bag US$30
Walking Pole US$10
Inflatable Mattress US$25
Single Tent Supplement US$40
Personal Porter to carry extra 7kg of personal items US$85
Inclusions on the 4 Day Rainbow Mountain Hike
- Private Happy Gringo Tours bus to Arapa– (starting of our trek.)
- 2 person per tent (large and comfortable) and foam mattress.
- English speaking experienced professional mountain guide.
- 6-8 people with 1 guide, 2 Guides for a group of 9-17 trekkers.
- 8 kilos porterage service for your personal items. A duffle bag is lent to you.
- Full board meals 4 Breakfast, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners. (Buffet Style Peruvian Gourmet Cuisine).(Vegetarian, vegan or special diet meals upon request).
- Dining tent and cooking tents with tables and chairs.
- Experienced Chef, assistants and cooking equipment and kitchen tent.
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Mules to carry tents, mattress, food, cooking equipment.
- Hot water for washing purposes.
- Boiled water to fill in your bottles everyday except the first day morning
- Free storage in Cusco for your belongings at Happy Gringo Tours office.
Does not Include:
- Water to drink on day 1 in the morning
- Dinner on Day 4th
- Tips for your crew: Cooks, horse herders and guides.
- Every Happy Gringo Tours staff receive a fair, decent payment immediately after they end their job, tips are optional and are a great gesture of esteem to them.
We recommend that you bring:
- A warm and good Sleeping Bag (Minus 8ºC) : (Can be rented at Happy Gringo Tours office)
- Hiking boots (sneakers or running shoes are not recommended)
- Trekking poles
- Warm clothes layers for variable temperatures
- Flashlight with extra batteries necessary
- Camera & Extra Film & Batteries / Charger
- Sun Protection : Hat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Thermals, Wool Socks & Woolen Hat for cold nights
- Gloves, Scarf
- Insect Repellant for Valleys
- Rain Poncho / Good rain jacket
- Toiletries, Toilet paper, small towel
- Trekking pants or similar
- Water container to fill up
- Personal medical kit
- Original passport and ISIC student card is applicable
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips to your staff