The most popular hike of the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is for four days which includes exploring more than 60 kilometers of tropical forests and trails that cross the Andes, and glacial lakes like the Humantay Lake.
Here Is The List Of Essentials To Pack For The Salkantay Trek And To Prepare For One Of The Best Experiences Of Your Life:
Original Passport: You must carry your original passport and it should be with you all the time
- Duffel Bag: Most of the companies provide a duffel bag with a weight limit for your clothing and other essentials that you are not carrying on the trek yourself. These duffel bags are carried by mules to the next campsite as you trek to Machu Picchu.
- Day Pack: This bag will be carried by you for the duration of the hike.
- Pack Cover: It is carried to cover your day pack in case it rains.
- Sleeping Bag: A bag that can handle about -10 degrees Celsius is recommended as it gets cold at night.
- Jacket: Mandatory for the trek.
- Raincoat or waterproof jacket: Rain is usually expected at Machu Picchu as it is more than 2000 meters above sea level.
- Fleece: A fleece comes in handy when the temperature starts to drop
- T-shirts: One for each day.
- Thermal Clothing: It depends on the season you are going.
- Comfortable trekking pants: At least 2 pairs of pants as you are going to spend several days on the trek.
- Underwear: More than six hiking underwear is recommended.
- Pijamas: Pijamas are essential during nights to rest
- Waterproof Hiking Boots: You are recommended to carry your boots that are lightweight and have ankle support and grip.
- Water Bottle: A refillable water bottle should be carried as water will be provided to trekkers every day. The use of refillable bottles also reduces pollution.
- Walking Poles: These are helpful for you during the trek as they reduce the weight on your legs and keep you safe while walking down steep and rocky paths.
- Flashlight: A flashlight is required in case of emergencies and also for personal use like making your bed.
- Accessories: Few accessories for sun protection are essential such as a hat, sunglasses, lip balm and
- Health and Hygiene Items: You are required to bring your own antibacterial hand gel, soap, toothpaste, deodorant spray, and a small towel.
The Salkantay Trek has different versions, therefore you are recommended to prepare your backpack accordingly.